Skip to main content

Chicken and Spinach Stuffed Pasta Shells: It's what's for dinner

I have a confession:  I don't get around to cooking a lot these days.  With a full time job and a 45-60 minute commute, by the time I get home from being on my feet all day I don't generally want to stand around and make dinner.  My bad.  I am (maybe) getting somewhat better as of late.

My good friend, Natalie, just had her baby.  (She's the one we threw the Peter Rabbit baby shower for recently.)  Anyway, I wanted to bring them dinner.  I generally like to make lasagna for several reasons: 
  1. It's so good homemade! 
  2. It's easy to make in a large portion which is good for extra family members or leftovers. 
  3. It's universally liked - well, it should be anyway.  Who doesn't love lasagna?  (My mom, that's who - but she's allergic to cheese - so that's a whole different story.
As it turns out, someone had already brought Nat and Seth lasagna, so I had to think of something else that would be good leftover and was easy for them to finish cooking.  I had to bring them their dinner at about 4pm, so I didn't want to bring it cooked.  I think all food tastes better fresh, don't you?  All Seth had to do was throw it in the oven for 40 minutes - not too bad.  ;)

During my search, I thought about some yummy southwestern stuffed pasta shells that I made a few years back.  I decided to try something different with my stuffed shells.  I found a great recipe on a cute blog called Stick a Fork in It.  I pretty much followed the recipe 100%, but I used fresh spinach instead of frozen.  Here's a tip: fill the shells a little more than feels right.  I thought I was really filling them, but they could have used a little more oomph. 

Ready to bake! 
Dinner is served!
Overall, I think it turned out well!  I served it with a fresh spinach side salad.  It did taste a little more lasagna-y than I imagined, but definitely a recipe to keep around.  What is your go-to recipe to bring to friends?

Happy eating :)
xoxo

Comments