Skip to main content

New Year...New You?

Hello Friends!

**Disclaimer: This will be a lengthy post!  You have been warned ;)**

I hope you had a great Christmas/New Year holiday and that you and your family were richly blessed.  I know we were.  Here are a few photos of the ending of 2011!
***************************************
Mom and I at the Nutcracker! 
One of my most favorite things to do.
Warren's first time at the Nutcracker.
He enjoyed himself...?!  
Merry Christmas!
(in Baton Rouge)
 Natalie's wedding with the beautiful Goodwin/Altman girls.
What a blessing these girls are to me!
LadyBug ready for the game!
(too bad we lost - and played horribly!)

***************************************
We were busy in Baton Rouge with Warren's family for Christmas.  It was nice to see all of them, be off of work, sleep late...all the usual stuff!  Then we came back home to Houston and had Christmas with my family.  Nothing big happened for the New Year, in fact, I didn't even make it to midnight!  *yawn*  I'm such a granny ;)  Overall, it was a great holiday season, and a good close to a long year.  Goodbye 2011, hello 2012!

***************************************
So, its a new year...are you planning for a new you?  I usually try to make New Year resolutions, but we all know how that goes.  Most resolutions are for immediate or short-term goals (ie: I want to lose 10 lbs, or I want to read the Bible every day...etc).  Like the rest of the population, I end up off the wagon in a matter of weeks! So, this year, I did not make any "resolutions" to begin with in order to skip the failure that comes shortly after!  Instead, I spent (and am still spending) a good bit of time trying to think long-term...not even necessarily for this year.

Instead of resolutions, consider your goals that you've made as commitments.  This is a better word, a stronger word and a word of more conviction.  It better represents what I am striving for in my own life.  I want to be committed...to God, to myself, to my marriage.  I know I don't like it when others break their commitments/promises to me...are you the same way?  If you think of your goals or resolutions as commitments, I think you just might be surprised how much more they mean to you and me, and how much more weight they carry.

This year, I am committing to thinking/praying about what kind of life I want to lead, what kind of wife I really want to be, what kind of believer I want to be, what kind of mom I want to be (eventually, Lord willing), how to have a better attitude consistently, etc.  Believe it or not, this is hard for me!  I am so goal-oriented that sometimes I can't even think past what I need to get done today.  Dreaming, thinking long-term and really trying to be purposeful in my goal-making, rather, commitments, is challenging for me!  But, what a great way to try and better myself.
{*Note: If you made short-term goals, I am not knocking you!  Good for you!*}

I found 2 quotes about goals that I really liked.  Read them once, then read them again substituting the word goal for commitment.

       1.  "Success is the progressive realization of predetermined, worthwhile goals.  So, as we start the year, bearing in mind our goals, let's really try and accomplish them!" ~ Paul J. Meyer

       2.  "The person who makes a success of living is the one who sees his goal steadily and aims for it unswervingly.  That is dedication." ~ Cecil B. De Mille

Wow!  I put in bold the 2 words that really stood out to me.  Not only should our goals/commitments be realistic, they should be worthwhile!  Are your goals/commitments worthwhile?  Or are they just for the sake of having goals/commitments?  Something to really consider.  I also loved the second quote, and the word dedication.  So you've set your goal and you're plugging along for a few weeks.  Then you hit your "wall", and sort of give up.  DON'T!  You have taken the time to make your goal/commitment, so pursue it!  Unswervingly.  With dedication.  I think this will be a challenge for us all.

On that note, happy 2012, people!  Here's to a year of new adventures, commitments and blessings.

peace, love and worthwhile goals!
xoxo
Jo

Comments