Hi all! I want to share with you my latest DIY project - a piece of "artwork" (if you will) to hang over our office space in our 3rd bedroom.
I love to decorate. Like, love to decorate. I also love to craft. These 2 hobbies came in to play during this project, and I could not be happier with the results.
When you are renovating on a budget sometimes you can't have that cool piece of art that you want, or you have to settle for the lamp from Marshall's and not the designer lamp you love. That's ok! (I happen to really love Marshall's and Homegoods!) You just have to know what style you're going for and the rest is simple. What I do is look for inspiration - whether that be on Pinterest, browsing online, or window shopping. I am always on the look out for something to inspire me, something that I can say "Hey - I can do that...maybe better!" Hence this project. I was browsing through WorldMarket a few months ago and saw this map:
I immediately knew I wanted to replicate this piece for our office. I did not, however, want to pay $80.00 for this piece. Truth be told, I kind of forgot about this piece until our bathroom vanity was delivered. The vanity was delivered to us on a pallet. Now, I have never been a fan of the pallet craze, and never generally like the way people use pallets. I don't like the 'pallet look', if you will - it's a little too rustic for me...but in this case, I wanted to use the wood and see what would happen. Our 3rd bedroom is nicely finished, so I thought the pallet might look good and give it a more 'homey' feel. Does that make sense?
Back to the inspiration map. I wanted to make this piece personal. Since W is from Louisiana and I am from Texas (yeehaw!), I decided to only paint our states. Once I had the pallet trimmed to size and fastened together, I printed an enlarged version of each state, cut them out (much more time-consuming than I thought), and traced them onto the wood. Then, I took some paint (that we already had) and painted the states. The only thing I purchased for this project was the wood and the gold spray paint used for the frame. Much cheaper than $80.00! and personalized!
Here are the pics I managed to take while making this piece. Enjoy!
I love to decorate. Like, love to decorate. I also love to craft. These 2 hobbies came in to play during this project, and I could not be happier with the results.
When you are renovating on a budget sometimes you can't have that cool piece of art that you want, or you have to settle for the lamp from Marshall's and not the designer lamp you love. That's ok! (I happen to really love Marshall's and Homegoods!) You just have to know what style you're going for and the rest is simple. What I do is look for inspiration - whether that be on Pinterest, browsing online, or window shopping. I am always on the look out for something to inspire me, something that I can say "Hey - I can do that...maybe better!" Hence this project. I was browsing through WorldMarket a few months ago and saw this map:
I immediately knew I wanted to replicate this piece for our office. I did not, however, want to pay $80.00 for this piece. Truth be told, I kind of forgot about this piece until our bathroom vanity was delivered. The vanity was delivered to us on a pallet. Now, I have never been a fan of the pallet craze, and never generally like the way people use pallets. I don't like the 'pallet look', if you will - it's a little too rustic for me...but in this case, I wanted to use the wood and see what would happen. Our 3rd bedroom is nicely finished, so I thought the pallet might look good and give it a more 'homey' feel. Does that make sense?
Back to the inspiration map. I wanted to make this piece personal. Since W is from Louisiana and I am from Texas (yeehaw!), I decided to only paint our states. Once I had the pallet trimmed to size and fastened together, I printed an enlarged version of each state, cut them out (much more time-consuming than I thought), and traced them onto the wood. Then, I took some paint (that we already had) and painted the states. The only thing I purchased for this project was the wood and the gold spray paint used for the frame. Much cheaper than $80.00! and personalized!
Here are the pics I managed to take while making this piece. Enjoy!
And there you have it! A personalized piece of artwork for our office space. It looks great in the room and takes up just the right amount of wall space. What will inspire me next? What will inspire you?





Comments
Post a Comment