Good Morning! I am excited to start a new 'series' - if you will - on the blog. The new series of posts will show off our house renovation. You'll get to see the product of all of our hard work! :) Hopefully, you'll love it as much as we do.
Let's backup for just a second. W and I had a hard time buying our first home (Well, I had a hard time!) The market was so 'hot' that every time we saw a house we liked, it had been bought by the time we tried to schedule a showing. No joke. Houses were selling within hours of being on the market and for way over asking price. We knew we wanted to fix up our house, really put our hard work into it, and create some sweat equity. Our initial strategy was to buy a that was 70% or so finished only leaving us a few projects. Once we saw the demand for housing and lost a few houses we really liked to a higher bidder, we lowered our standards (haha!), and found our lovely home. Stuck somewhere between the 70's and 80's, our home is a mish-mash of bad labor (uneven tiles and doors installed poorly), bad decor, and funky smells. Everything needs updating. Everything. It's going to be a long ride, but we'll have good memories and a great home at the end of it.
So, with that said, welcome to the first project I am going to feature: the master closet! This was fun for me - W let me think of and design the closet how I wanted. We started by taking down the previous owner's poorly put together closet system and replacing the carpet. We then hung bead board, trimmed out the walls and corners, painted, and hung our closet system. I am just glad it smells better - boy did it have a funky smell when we started! Now our closet is a space I enjoy being. Here are the pics of the transformation!
 |
| A look straight into the closet after we took down the previous owner's closet system. |
 |
Around the corner to the right. (The closet is sort of "L" shaped.) Remnants of the old closet system still on the wall. |
 |
| Starting the bead board installation. |
 |
Trust me, this was harder than it might seem! Props to W for being such a craftsman. |
 |
| Around the "L" corner to the right. |
 |
| Looking from the back of the closet toward the entrance. |
 |
| After installation, we began priming all the bead board. |
 |
A close-up look at the trim work - before filling the nail holes and painting. It looks much better now. ;) |
 |
| Freshly painted and ready for install! |
 |
| Our lovely closet system. |
 |
Around the "L" corner to the right, additional hanging and storage above on shelves. |
 |
| A view from the back. |
 |
Look closely in the corner, we made our plumbing access to the adjacent bathroom look nice and neat! |
 |
Filled with our things - I am one happy lady! Still spacious enough to walk! A closer view of the custom shoe storage (on the left) to come. |
 |
I had to have the crystal knobs for hanging the necklaces! This is right when you walk in to the wall on the left. |
 |
A look around the corner: more hanging and great additional storage on top of the racks. |
 |
| Around the "L" corner to the right. |
 |
My shoe display (W made this!) and some storage beneath. I found this adorable little dresser at Marshall's - it holds my scarves, swimwear, etc. |
 |
I love the shoe shelves W made for me! I get to see all my pretty shoes, but at the same time it's not too bulky that it is overwhelming. |
 |
Another fun touch: I made custom belt storage out of picture frames and hooks. They are so cute - a really fun detail. |
Well, there you have it! A little peek into our closet. We are really having fun putting our personal touches on everything. I am already somewhat tired of all the work (W is rolling his eyes), but the more we get done, the better I feel about everything!
Have a great week. I hope to have another finished project to show next week - the guest bedroom!
xoxo
Comments
Post a Comment