Friends!
I realize this might not be my most popular post to date, and I’m ok with that! I appreciate your open mind. But also please note, I am not judging you, your family or your friends in any way if you choose celebrate Halloween. This is just my side...
I realize this might not be my most popular post to date, and I’m ok with that! I appreciate your open mind. But also please note, I am not judging you, your family or your friends in any way if you choose celebrate Halloween. This is just my side...
Halloween is such a touchy subject, especially with
some Christians. Why? I believe it is because of what the holiday has turned in
to over the years. As one article puts it, “Halloween is a day of pagan celebration. Whatever
its true roots, today it embraces and festively commemorates many things
ostensibly evil. Witches, demons, death, degradation, spell making, hauntings,
and the list goes on.”
As Hubby and I
believe, that is not the best use of our time or energy as Christ-followers. I
will say, in all honsety, I did attend Halloween parties in college, and I did
dress up. But as a more mature believer (and person in general), I now have a
better understanding of the impact that my witness and actions have on those
around me. I am also growing into who I want to be as a wife and hopefully a
mom, and I need to start making decisions that best represtent my faith and
family! Allow me to explain...
Have you ever stopped
to consider the history of Halloween? There is a LOT out there on the internet
about the history if Halloween and it can be hard to decipher at times. But,
simply put, it started a long time ago as the Celtic festival of Samhain, a celebration of the end of the summer. This festival also
served, among other things, to remember lost relatives. On the eve of the
festival, people would “ward off” evil spirits that they feared might come to
their celebration the next day. They dressed up like goblins, witches and
devils to divert the evil spirits.
That doesn’t sound
like something that I want to celebrate or represent. Christ has conquered evil
and death once and for all (woohoo!). Please don’t get me wrong, I love a cute
kid in a costume (and we all know I love a cute dog in a costume). In fact, our
church in Houston (and the church we attended in Baton Rouge while we lived
there) has Noah’s Ark parties for kids. They can dress up, play games and win
prizes. It’s more of a fair-type atmosphere – and fun for all. And the kids are
at church.
The same article I
quote above goes on to say, “{Halloween} also has its innocent side. Children getting out of
their homes to meet their neighbors, consumption of mass quantities of candy,
parents spending time with their children, community events...” I totally
agree. It could be really fun…if we
didn’t have to worry about who might come to our doors knowing we will open
them…and if we didn’t have to worry
about child abductions. (Also, while I’m on my soap box – since when is
Halloween an excuse for girls to be all scantily clad? This is NOT a contest
for how little clothing you can wear! Aaaannnddd, Halloween is for the kiddos. NOT
adults. Stop dressing up if you are over 12! *stepping down now*.)
So how can we redeem Halloween?
I’m not sure. I know we can start by educating our future kiddos about the
holiday, its roots, and what it has become. When we have a house, we can
lovingly open the front door to all the cute critters that come around, and
maybe throw in a gospel tract with their candy. Hubby and I will have to think
a lot about it when those kiddos do come along.
Until then, our dog will be
wearing a costume, and we will be (lovingly) laughing at her! If you are
celebrating this year, have fun and be safe!
xoxo
xoxo
Comments
Post a Comment