Skip to main content

Surgery Discoveries

Hi Friends!

As I mentioned in my last post, I recently had foot surgery on my left foot.  While I am happy to (hopefully) be having a good recovery and to (hopefully) be walking soon, I have been more or less totally non-weightbearing for 12 days now.  The first few days after surgery are a blur of pain meds, naps, saltine crackers and sprite, but now that I am finally out of the “fog” that has been ruling my life, I am ready to share the valuable lessons I have learned during my recovery thus far (other than the fact  that my feet look terrible with no pedicure!).  Prepare to be amazed at my “valuable” discoveries… 
~   Discovery #1:  Purchasing Books before surgery (and planning to read them while you are recovering) = not a good idea for Jordan!  I thought I would have loads of time to be reading between the meds I would be taking and bed resting that I would be doing, BUT the pain meds put in a certain funk for about a week (even though I only took them for about 4 days!).  I was nauseous, itchy, sick to my stomach, dizzy, and mainly just had (for lack of a better term) a foggy brain.  I couldn’t focus, I couldn’t connect my thoughts – I couldn’t really do much.  So reading has been out of the picture since it takes a great amount of concentration for me to even read in the first place.  Oh well.  Now I will have to make time to read my books (as mentioned in my summer reading post) some other time!  Looks like my lunch hour just got taken…

~   Discovery #2:  New school Grey’s Anatomy is far superior to the first few seasons.  I mean, it’s a lot better y’all.  Old re-runs play during the day, and after watching a few episodes with George, Izzy and Dr. Burke, I came to realize that the current plot lines and cast are WAY better.  Although some cast members are no more, Dr. Altman, Lexie, McDreamy/McSteamy, Callie, Arizona etc. really have a great dynamic.  And although I do not morally agree with some of the antics on the show, I still enjoy it. J

~   Discovery #3:  My sweet, sweet puppy is very attached…to me.  She is totes adorbs, don’t get me wrong, but after so much alone time together, I just really wanted her to go hang out on her (very posh) bed for a while so I could enjoy some alone time.  (Is this a sign I’m not ready for babies?!? Haha).  Alas, she doesn’t speak English or really even understand why I am walking on crutches/can’t play, so I’m cutting her a break.  I’m just thankful she hasn’t run over my surgerized foot yet – that could hurt!

~   Discovery #4:  Hospital gowns have changed in the past few years!  Now they are lined with - wait for it - HEATING/COOLING stuff!  I'm unsure of technical terms, but bascially there was a "port" in the left shoulder of my gown that could attach to a unit in the wall that provided either heat or cool.  Awesome!!

~   Discovery #5:  My mom and husband rock.  (This is really not a new discovery, it has just been reinforced throughout this process.)  They have both been such good caretakers and super attentive to me!  So, here’s to them – thanks, guys!  Love you!

 
At any rate, surgery was not fabulous, recovery hasn’t been either, but I’ve had an interesting time adjusting to hopping around on one leg, crutching everywhere, and taking baths (GROSS – I’m totally a shower person)…I’m headed to my first post-surgery appointment this afternoon, so hopefully all is well! J

peace, love, and un-pedicured feet L
xoxo
Jordan

Comments