Skip to main content

Nursery Inspiration

I love decorating.  I love changing up old spaces.  I love making new spaces feel like 'home'.  It is part of my creative nature and how I express myself, and usually I can tell you my exact vision for a room after being in it for less than 2 seconds.  That is how it has been with our entire house reno...I know what I want it to look like (and thankfully, W and I have agreed on everything!).  Not so with the nursery.


In the early stages of pregnancy, I was so antsy to get started decorating and designing the room our baby will spend a lot of time in and around.  I spent countless hours browsing online (Pinterest) and sitting in the empty nursery space seeing if I could get the 'vibe' of what I wanted...and yet - nothing.  Talk about frustrating!  For someone who is so decisive and loves decorating, I hit a major creative wall.  That said, once we found our gorgeous crib + dresser, I had a better handle on what I wanted it to look like.  (Pics to follow in a reveal post.) 

A lot of people have asked me the nursery 'theme'.  I am not a theme-y person.  As a matter of fact, I have seen a lot of themed nurseries that have gotten out of hand and look tacky (to me).  I didn't want that to happen.  We already had gray carpet and a mostly white room with a gorgeous board + batten wall that W had built for me.  I knew I wanted to keep the room neutral and just add color and pattern with a sprinkle of a few animals here and there (no safari theme or zoo theme for me).  After a (loooooonngg) while, I decided that Navy + Gray + White with wooden and wire accents were going to be what I built the nursery around.  

Here are some inspiration pics of what I (thought) I wanted when I started out designing the space for our bebe.

1) Animals - I love animals, and quickly fell in love with these animal photo prints from The Animal Print Shop online.  Unfortunately, to order enough for the space would have broken the bank, so I quickly found some watercolor animals on Etsy that turned out beautifully and look great in the space.

the animal photo prints on display - love!
2) Navy - I knew I wanted the driving color to be navy, but I didn't want the nursery to seem too nautical.  Here are some pics from Pinterest that helped me decide on navy + gray...

love the look of navy + gray
almost too nautical with the drapes, but love the pops of red
we have a similar board + batten wall, looks great with the colors!

3) Wooden and Metal accents - I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted to DIY for the nursery, but I found some great inspiration/projects on Pinterest.  I ended up making my own version of the growth chart and arrows below.

a creative way to add wood to the room, warming it up
love the look of these, hated the price tag...made my own!
I actually registered for these from Pottery Barn Kids...they do not have them anymore
but I wanted to stick with some wire accents.
So there you have it!  I was finally able to find some inspiration and have had fun making the nursery look like we want!  It has turned out better than I imagined, even on a budget.  ;)  

I look forward to taking pics once the final adjustments are made and sharing the nursery with you!  Until then, keep us in your prayers.  Only 3.5 more weeks until my due date!!

xoxo

Comments